Here at SHONA, we believe in the power of storytelling, of sharing our experiences to empower ourselves and those around us.
We know you have all struggled over the past year, to be honest, we have too. COVID has caused nothing but chaos since it reared its ugly head. You may have felt isolated, overwhelmed, stressed and unheard. But we want you to know, we hear you!
Since the huge success of SHINE, and seeing how it took all of your minds off the stress of the unknown, we wanted to amplify your voices and give you a space to share your story.
We would like to invite all the young girls of Ireland to share a written piece with us.
Your piece can be on either:
- A lived experience you have overcome, and what you’ve learned.
- A profile of a woman you admire.
- An opinion piece with a positive and empowering message.
The Shona Community is an inclusive, authentic, and supportive one. This competition ensures that all of us have an opportunity to be heard.
And guess what the best news is?
The winner will win an amazing writer studio bundle courtesy of Harvey Norman and a selection will be published on our website! How cool is that?!! Huge thanks to our friends at Harvey Norman x
So, Heres how to get involved?
- The competition will run from now until the end of the school year, closing date is 5pm on Friday, May 28th.
- It is open to any girl of secondary school age.
- Pieces should be 500-700 words in length, include links to external sites, photos and references if you wish
- Write from your heart, in a tone that you would like to read.
- Articles can be published on our website anonymously if you wish.
- Email all pieces as a Word attachment to email@example.com including your name, school, age, and a brief intro to your piece.
In the meantime, we would love for you to get involved with us on our Instagram (@shonadotie) and share any nice content you come across that you think we could share with our community…
If you would like to support us and the work that we do, you can donate below ❤