Having time off from school is usually amazing! But over the past few summers, we’ve missed out on so much, we’re thirsty for new opportunities to meet new people, try new things, and celebrate who we are as young women. How about you?
For the third year, The Shona Project is offering the girls of Waterford an inspirational and empowering week they will never forget, with opportunities to find their place and identity in this world while also encouraging them to be nice to one and another, but more importantly, to themselves.
“It was amazing, it was so fun and such a great experience. It has 100% boosted my confidence and given me so many coping strategies. I’m so glad I came. It made me feel so happy. This was 100% one of the best weeks of my life.” – Summer School Attendee
The Shona Project Summer School Programme has been designed by our highly experienced team, and our mission is to create a positive impact by supporting young women to be independent, confident, and connected, all while having fun of course!
This year, we have 15 available spaces. But, to ensure we can reach those who need it most, we are also offering 3 scholarship places! So if you know a girl who you think will benefit from this jam-packed week, you can nominate her HERE.
* Please note: The closing date for nominations is at 5 pm on Friday the 3rd of June. Nominations will be completely confidential. Please only nominate a girl who will be available for the week of June 13th – 17th and can make it to Waterford City centre each day. *
When: 13th -17th June from 10 am to 3 pm (5 hours per day)
Where: Waterford Marine Search and Rescue Building, Unit 10 Park Road Business Park, Park Road, Waterford. X91 WR62
Price: €150 (each girl will also receive a Shona Project goodie bag)
Tickets can be bought through the Eventbrite Link Here.
Scholarship nominations can be submitted HERE.
For: 13 to 18-year-old girls
When booking, please advise us of any special requirements that are needed eg. Wheelchair Access.
The Shona Project is a non-profit organisation, so every cent is reinvested in impact 🙂
Are you still on the fence? Well, why not have a listen to what the attendees from last year’s Summer School had to say about their experience below!
These Summer Schools are designed to create a space for girls which is:
- Safe – The girls are encouraged but never required to share.
- Supportive – We are kind and always non-judgemental.
- Challenging – We help girls realise their personal power, curiosity, and ability.
- Fun – The week will be recalled with happiness for years to come. Last year’s girls still check in with each other!
The main outcomes include:
- Increased sense of belonging and positive peer connection.
- Increased Self-awareness (including personal values) and self-confidence.
- Increased ability to critically evaluate the messages received by the world and make positive decisions.
- Increased ability to deal with stress and anxiety leading to increased wellbeing.
- Increased ability to use her own voice to ask for what she needs and express herself with confidence.
- Increased sense of her place in the world and her ability to affect change.
All these amazing experiences will be achieved through activities such as:
- Yoga/meditation mindfulness
- Creative writing and journal writing
- Goal setting and stress support planning activities
- Team building exercises / spoken word
- Media creation
- Role modelling
- Health and wellbeing
- Social Responsibility
“She has gained more confidence in herself. Having the opportunity to attend has broadened her mindset, and provided her with more tools to tackle teenage life. I think before she attended, she never really thought her voice and opinions were worth much, but I can see a quiet confidence unfolding, some of this is definitely a result of the Summer School and the leaders she met, whom she really liked and respected!” – Parent of a Summer School Attendee
You can register for the Summer School HERE.
**Some Important Notes:
- All current COVID-19 guidelines will be followed
- Spaces are limited and will be based on a first-come, first-served basis.
- We love to take videos and photos to share on our website and social media channels. We will be sending you a consent form in order to get your permission to take your daughter’s photos and post them on our social media channels.
- We will be in contact with you prior to the event, so please keep an eye on your email inbox 🙂
Cancellation Policy: We understand that things can change, so if you need to cancel your spot, please get in touch with the team as soon as possible on firstname.lastname@example.org. If we have advance notice and can fill the spot, we are more than happy to offer you a 100% refund. However, cancellations made within 14 days of the 13th of June will incur a 20% fee. Cancellations within 7 days will incur a 50% fee. Unfortunately, we will be unable to issue a refund for any cancellations made within 48 hours of the first day.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com