This week, we caught up with one of our amazing ambassadors Skye. She recently turned 19 and decided she was going to make a list of 19 things she has learned in 19 years. Check out what she had to say…
1 If you spend your whole life worrying about what other people think of you, you’ll never know who YOU really are.
2. Don’t pressure yourself to like everyone, if you don’t like someone and don’t want to be around them, that doesn’t make you a bad person. You should never force yourself to do something you don’t want to.
3. This one could surprise you, but your parents don’t know everything. A lot of what they say is based on their opinions and experiences. While that does make them wiser, it doesn’t mean they haven’t made mistakes and won’t continue to make them. They are human just like you and are still learning how to get through life just like you.
4. Some people’s personalities and actions will always be hard for you to understand, including people close to you. That doesn’t mean they’re trying to hurt you or that you’ll never get along, it just means you are very different from them and that’s just how it is, it won’t change.
5. You don’t have to like something just because it’s trendy, but you also shouldn’t stop yourself from liking something just because it’s trendy either. If you like something, do it or wear it! It doesn’t matter if it seems like you’re copying people, they’re trends because people like them, so of course it’s okay for you to like them.
6. You will realise that can’t talk to everyone about everything. Some people you can trust with serious issues and unfortunately, there are just some that you can’t.
7. It’s okay to admit when you’re wrong. Learn from your mistakes as opposed to trying to forget about them. You don’t have to be perfect at everything straight away, even if it’s the things you love.
8. Always ask questions if you don’t know something. In fact, ask questions even if you do. The more you learn, the better you can understand something. Never be afraid to ask for help either. People will be more than willing to help.
9. Always be YOURSELF. Please do not who you or anyone else thinks you should be.
10. Always make sure you get credit for your work. Don’t let someone else take credit for it just because they’re older than you or in a position of power. Unfortunately, people can take advantage of your passions and talent and use it to promote themselves. Fight for what is yours and taking pride in your work.
11. Don’t bottle up your emotions and thoughts. There’s only so much pressure a bottle can take before it breaks. It is ok not to be ok. Just talk to someone, relieve some of the pressure that you have been building up. You will be surprised how one little chat can make you feel so much happier.
12. Just because it doesn’t affect YOU, doesn’t mean it can’t affect other people. You should always sympathize with other people’s struggles and help as much as you can unless proven otherwise.
13. It may sound a little selfish but, if your friends need help and you need help, help yourself first. You need to make sure you’re okay first, otherwise, you won’t be able to take the strain and will buckle. It’s ok to put yourself first!
14. Similarly, if your friend says they need a hand, don’t give them your whole arm. Only help as much as you are able to.
15. You don’t need to check up on people all the time on social media if it’s draining. They’re not checking up on you and that’s okay. You’ll likely see each other in person someday and it’ll be back to normal.
16. Everyone copies other people, whether it’ in music, clothes, hairstyles, etc. It’s okay to feel like you might be copying someone as long as you still remember to be yourself. It’s very likely they’ve copied someone else too.
17. Just because some people can’t talk to you about their feelings or you can’t talk to them about yours, doesn’t mean they don’t care.
18. You can’t do everything right now, and you don’t have to. You have a whole lifetime to do all the things you want to do. Space it out but pursue the things you want to pursue right now. Everyone succeeds at different rates, and you’ve achieved much more than you know.
19. And number 19, realising that I wrote 18 things instead of 19.
We would love to hear about the things you have learned through the years! You can pop us an email here. 🥰🥰