Having time off from school is usually amazing! But this year we’ve missed out on so much, we’re thirsty for new opportunities to meet new people, try new things, and celebrate who we are as young women. How about you?
For the second year, The Shona Project is offering the girls of Waterford an inspirational and empowering week they will never forget, with opportunities to find their place and identity in this world while also encouraging them to be nice to one and another, but more importantly, to themselves.
“I found all the workshops during the week super helpful. Each one gave us a different way of helping us in our everyday lives. Tammy and the team really helped me with my confidence and dealing with stress. I walked away really believing in myself.” – Summer School Attendee
The Shona Project Summer School Programme has been designed by our highly experienced team, and our mission is to create a positive impact by supporting young women to be independent, confident, and connected, all while having fun of course!
This year, we have 10 available spaces. But, to ensure we can reach those who need it most, we are also offering 3 scholarship places! So if you know a girl who you think will benefit from this jam-packed week, you can nominate her HERE.
* Please note: The closing date for nominations is at 5 pm on Friday 11th June. Nominations will be completely confidential. Please only nominate a girl who will be available for the week of June 21st – 25th and can make it to Waterford City centre each day. *
When: 21st -25th June from 10 am to 3 pm (5 hours per day)
Where: St.Patrick’s Gateway, Waterford City.
Price: €150 (each girl will also receive a Shona Project goodie bag)
Tickets can be bought through the Eventbrite Link Here.
Scholarship nominations can be submitted here.
For: 13 to 18-year-old girls
When booking, please advise us of any special requirements that are needed eg. Wheelchair Access.
The Shona Project is a non-profit organisation, so every cent is reinvested in impact 🙂
These Summer Schools are designed to create a space for girls which is:
- Safe – The girls are encouraged but never required to share.
- Supportive – We are kind and always non-judgemental.
- Challenging – We help girls realise their personal power, curiosity, and ability.
- Fun – The week will be recalled with happiness for years to come. Last years girls still check in with each other!
The main outcomes include:
- Increased sense of belonging and positive peer connection.
- Increased Self-awareness (including personal values) and self-confidence.
- Increased ability to critically evaluate the messages received by the world and make positive decisions.
- Increased ability to deal with stress and anxiety leading to increased wellbeing.
- Increased ability to use her own voice to ask for what she needs and express herself with confidence.
- Increased sense of her place in the world and her ability to affect change.
All these amazing experiences will be achieved through activities such as:
- Yoga/meditation mindfulness
- Creative writing and journal writing
- Goal setting and stress support planning activities
- Team building exercises / spoken word
- Media creation
- Role modelling
- Health and wellbeing
- Social Responsibility
“My daughter absolutely loved it and when I asked what bits she liked, she said everything! This positivity is rare these days, so was very very happy with that! It definitely had a positive effect on her and could see she was easier that week and had no bother in getting her up every morning which was a real test too. She was in great form that week and I think her confidence grew and I hope she takes from it going forward. Would love her to do more of this in the year. A big thank you to everyone involved, I really feel young people need opportunities to discuss issues important to them in supportive environments.” – Parent of a Summer School Attendee
You can register for the Summer School HERE.
**Some Important Notes:
- All current COVID-19 guidelines will be followed
- Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, spaces are limited and will be based on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- We love to take videos and photos to share on our website and social media channels. We will be sending you a consent form in order to get your permission to take your daughter’s photo and post them to our social media channels.
- We will be in contact with you prior to the event, so please keep an eye on your email inbox 🙂
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
If you would like to support us and the work that we do, you can donate below ❤