BelongTo is an amazing organisation that provides support for young Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender people in Ireland. If you know someone who is trans or non-binary, you probably want to be supportive, but maybe have some questions and are afraid to ask in case you cause offense. This week, BelongTo have released a series of videos in which the trans and non-binary community and their families share their stories in order to start some open and honest conversations.
Here’s what we learned:
- Gender identity is who you are, and sexuality is who you are attracted to.
- Theres no one way to be trans.
- Names and pronouns are important to trans people, if you’re not sure, use ‘they’ or ‘them’ (its okay to make mistakes, as long as you try).
- Allies and supportive people are very important to the trans community (and we should all try to be allies).
- Don’t ask a trans person something you wouldn’t be comfortable answering yourself.
- Bathrooms can be difficult for trans people, and some schools are starting to introduce gender neutral bathrooms, which is cool.
Watch the videos below.